Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Message to all those who we have banned

Discussion in 'Podiatry Arena Help, Suggestions and Comments' started by admin, Apr 18, 2014.

1. admin

admin Administrator Staff Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    [​IMG]

2. Bad day, Craig??:butcher::rolleyes:

3. admin

I just tired of people quoting the 1st Amendment to me when I ban or censure someone from the US. I not even American and know enough about the US constitution to know that the principle of freedom of speech apply to protection from the govt; not to private business (let alone one that is not even based in the USA!)

4. Just tell them that they have the right to free speech, but only on their own website!:drinks

5. admin

I do....but it still surprises me how many in the USA get cranky when I point out how little they know about their own constitution!

6. David Smith

David Smith Well-Known Member

Craig, you should just say you that you've issued an Executive Order. Any American will understand that, their President(Presidents) do it all the time and they love it :rolleyes::eek:
    Executive Orders trump Constitutional and Human rights every time!!!

7. W J Liggins

W J Liggins Well-Known Member

No time for niceties with these people Craig. Just use the chant of the Agincourt archers. 'F off!'

Cheers

Bill

8. wdd

wdd Well-Known Member

Craig,

Is the ban for life or do they get a second chance after a certain period of 'punishment'?

Not that punishment usually prevents reoffending as far as prisoners are concerned - apart from the notable exception of capital punishment. But that might be a step too far - then again?

Bill

9. If I was Craig, I wouldn't give them a second chance...they will just do it again. They can always read the comments here even though they are banned from the site. If they want to start their own website, then they are free to do so.

10. Lab Guy

Lab Guy Well-Known Member

I wish that those that continue to use this forum as a means to promote their products (despite advertising on this site) would be banned. I can think of one person in particular and I am disappointed that person has not been banned on this academic site.

It is one thing to start your own thread to discuss your product, but it is another thing entirely to always bring up your product in threads started by others. Ban the parasites that only post with the agenda and intention to sell their goods rather than the intent to bring forth knowledge and understanding for the common good.

Steven

11. Good idea. How about it Craig? Give the people selling their product two warning notices then ban them on the third time for plugging their product?

12. wdd

wdd Well-Known Member

I have two suggestions that might eliminate the need for banning anyone from the sight.

The first is to censor the posts of those who would otherwise be banned. The unacceptable section/s could simply be cut out. Some indication, eg a stamp saying Censored would be applied to the post. Who knows the censored remains of the original posts might acquire a new dimension and what was valuless might gain a value added component?

My second idea, which could either be activated on its own or in conjunction with my first idea would be the creation of a podiatry area Room 101?

Bill

13. Dr. Steven King

Dr. Steven King Well-Known Member

Aloha Craig,

We thank you for hard and persistant work on our community website that you are the leader/owner of.

The position you are in is a difficult one, and i will admitt i have not made it much eiser,, with all my spelling errors and such.

There are fine lines that between science and commerce and we may not want to limit the flow between the two. Often science and commerce sit equally on our heads. How else do we pay the bills and feed our family's?

Personally i think everyone deserves multiple chances as long as they are not threating or abusive or wanting to monopolize the discussions. If someone wants to sell their biomechanics book on this biomechanics website more better. Perhaps they can also help fund this site buy advertising on it.

I understand my fellow Americans hold their rights tight to their hearts but this has been born of nessessity and past good deeds.

FDR on Free Speech
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EZ5bx9AyI4

A Hui Hou,
    Steve

14. Dr. Steven King

Aloha,

Here is a little background on the legality of US commercial free speech. It is protected by not overly so. Perhaps Craig has every right to allow whomever he wants on this his commercial website?

From Wikipedia,

Commercial speech is speech done on behalf of a company or individual for the purpose of making a profit. Unlike political speech, the Supreme Court does not afford commercial speech full protection under the First Amendment. To effectively distinguish commercial speech from other types of speech for purposes of litigation, the Court uses a list of four indicia:[116]

1.The contents do "no more than propose a commercial transaction."
    2.The contents may be characterized as advertisements.
    3.The contents reference a specific product.
    4.The disseminator is economically motivated to distribute the speech.
    Alone, each indicium does not compel the conclusion that an instance of speech is commercial; however, "[t]he combination of all these characteristics...provides strong support for...the conclusion that the [speech is] properly characterized as commercial speech."[117]

In Valentine v. Chrestensen (1942),[118] the Court upheld a New York City ordinance forbidding the "distribution in the streets of commercial and business advertising matter."[119] Writing for a unanimous court, Justice Owen Roberts explained:

This court has unequivocally held that streets are proper places for the exercise of the freedom of communicating information and disseminating opinion and that, though the states and municipalities may appropriately regulate the privilege in the public interest, they may not unduly burden or proscribe its employment in their public thoroughfares. We are equally clear that the Constitution imposes no such restraint on government as respects purely commercial advertising.[120]

In Virginia State Pharmacy Board v. Virginia Citizens Consumer Council (1976),[121] the Court overruled Valentine and ruled that commercial speech was entitled to First Amendment protection:

What is at issue is whether a State may completely suppress the dissemination of concededly truthful information about entirely lawful activity, fearful of that information's effect upon its disseminators and its recipients... [W]e conclude that the answer to this one is in the negative.[122]

In Ohralik v. Ohio State Bar Association (1978),[123] the Court ruled that commercial speech was not protected by the First Amendment as much as other types of speech:

We have not discarded the "common-sense" distinction between speech proposing a commercial transaction, which occurs in an area traditionally subject to government regulation, and other varieties of speech. To require a parity of constitutional protection for commercial and noncommercial speech alike could invite a dilution, simply by a leveling process, of the force of the [First] Amendment's guarantee with respect to the latter kind of speech.[124]

In Central Hudson Gas & Electric Corp. v. Public Service Commission (1980),[125] the Court clarified what analysis was required before the government could justify regulating commercial speech:

1.Is the expression protected by the First Amendment? Lawful? Misleading? Fraud?
    2.Is the asserted government interest substantial?
    3.Does the regulation directly advance the governmental interest asserted?
    4.Is the regulation more extensive than is necessary to serve that interest?
    Six years later, the U.S. Supreme Court, applying the Central Hudson standards in Posadas de Puerto Rico Associates v. Tourism Company of Puerto Rico (1986),[126] affirmed the Supreme Court of Puerto Rico's conclusion that Puerto Rico's Games of Chance Act of 1948, including the regulations thereunder, was not facially unconstitutional. The lax interpretation of Central Hudson adopted by Posadas was soon restricted under 44 Liquormart, Inc. v. Rhode Island (1996),[127] when the Court invalidated a Rhode Island law prohibiting the publication of liquor prices.

A Hui Hou,
    An Outspoken American

15. wdd

wdd Well-Known Member

The association of science and commerce is a fine line and one that needs to be continually monitored, clarified, patrolled, reinforced, cleared and re-established. This represents one of Craig's many tasks. One in which he is ably assissted by many on this site.

Scientific outcomes are always, to a greater or lesser extent, distorted/biased by commerce. The greater the commercial influence the greater the bias in the science.

In extreme cases, on this site, where commercial interest has overwhelmed the science and the bias is recognisable to all but the perpetrator, the scientific community must act to maintain its borders and the most effective way is to cut out the cancer.

If cutting out the cancer is analogous to a ban then a permanent ban would seem appropriate and is the easiest and most effective solution when one or a small number of otherwise busy people is patrolling the border.

Because the posts of of those promoting commercially terminally infected science often contain interesting and sometimes pertinent points quarantine might represent a useful alternative to a ban although it would be necessary to ensure that the method of quarantine removed the risk of contamination and that could represent an overwhelming load for the infection control officer.

The easiest answer would undoubtedly be to "cut off their goolies".

www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1TfZBjgG6c

Bill

16. blinda

blinda MVP

17. Peter

Peter Well-Known Member

I think the room 101 is a good idea......but can we call it 'the **** bin'?

18. Dr. Steven King

Aloha Bill,

I assume you assume that "the bias is recognisable to all but the perpetrator" but perhaps they could also be considered "penetrators"of new technology and science.

Mahalo,
    Steve

Dr. Steven King

Voting Member on
    American Society of Testing Materials (ASTM)

F13 Footwear Safety and Traction
    E 54 Homeland Security Applications and Body Armor

19. Dr. Steven King

Aloha Bill,

Please i beg to differ with your comment.

"Scientific outcomes are always, to a greater or lesser extent, distorted/biased by commerce"

Perhaps you think that most companies are run and owned by their marketing departments and not the engineering departments,, which unfortunately is mostly true.

Many Many businesses of commerce are dependant on solid scientific research to expand the quality and effectiveness of their products. They may not report all the results to their competition.

How else would race car teams develop faster cars and pit crews?

Mahalo,
    Steve

20. Lab Guy

Lab Guy Well-Known Member

Craig,

Perhaps instead of banning the parasites that only use this forum to sell their overpriced patented goods, you should instead charge them an advertising fee. On every post that they mention their products to serve their own agenda, they get charged an advertising fee. For example, if you charged $50 per post that mentions their product and they do this 3 times in one month, their bill would be $150.00 for advertising on threads. If they fail to pay their bill, they are banned. At the very bottom of About on the right hand corner, you can have number of paid ads.

About:
    Marketplace reputation 0% (0)
    CPD Points: 9,880 [What is this?]
    Paid poster ads: 0

Now, the posters are no longer parasites but posters helping to fund your website and we now know there is no hidden agenda from the poster.

Your very valuable posters who have contributed endless posts and received a zillion thanks have greatly increased the intrinsic value of your website by increasing traffic. These people have devoted countless hours to help their colleagues on a myriad of topics rather than just one. They should be justly rewarded with free monthly advertising should they have a service or product for us to be aware of.

Parasites can have their freedom of speech, but on Podiatry-Arena, let them pay for it. I doubt we will see any more self-promotion on PA.

Steven

21. wdd

wdd Well-Known Member

I assume you assume that "the bias is recognisable to all but the perpetrator" but perhaps they could also be considered "penetrators"of new technology and science.

Mahalo,
    Steve

I was assuming the integrity of the 'perpetrators', ie that they were promoting their obviously biased quasi science because they were too close to it and so dependent upon its success that they were unable to see that it was biased. Otherwise I would have to assume that they were knowingly putting commercial interest ahead of the science and were knowingly using bad science to promote their commercial interest.

I don't understand the phrase '"penetrator" of new science and technology'? Is it a new form of sexual perversion or does it indicate someone who is prepared to stuff the science and technology as long as they can make money out of it?

Bill

22. wdd

wdd Well-Known Member

"Scientific outcomes are always, to a greater or lesser extent, distorted/biased by commerce"

Hi Steve,

No problem, in theory at least, extending 'lesser' to include zero on rare, possibly very rare occasions.

Bill

Of co

23. wdd

wdd Well-Known Member

Hi Steve,

No problem, in theory at least, extending 'lesser' to include zero on rare, possibly very rare occasions.

Bill

24. Dr. Steven King

Aloha Bill,

One of the issues we have on this web site is anonymity.

When i research who you are on this site it is not apparent.

I do not know if you are a paid professional blogger paid to maintain the status quo for existing shoe companies or if you are a highly respected podiatric researcher and practicioner.

Since you are concerned about "obviously biased quasi science" would you please ask the perpertrators directly for publicly published research results? Or ask them to leave this site and be ready to give scientific reasons why thier science is inferior to yours.

I humbly do appologize but it takes alot to get through thick skulls.
    "I don't understand the phrase '"penetrator""

It is tough teaching the teachers... they often are so biased to knowing it all...

A Hui Hou,
    Steve

25. Dr. Steven King

Aloha,

This may seem redundant but perhaps we all could take a few moments to review our Podiatry Arena forum rules and consider if we are following them to the best of our ability.

Mahalo,
    Steve

Forum Rules

Podiatry Arena is a forum for communication between foot health professionals and the rules and guidelines for the conduct in the forum reflect that.

Podiatry Arena is not a forum for those with questions about their foot problems.

There is no charge for joining Podiatry Arena. We do insist that you abide by the rules and policies detailed below. If you agree to the terms, please check the 'I agree' checkbox and press the 'Register' button below. This is a community of Podiatrists, Podiatry students and other health professionals with an interest in foot care. Podiatry Arena is a place where it's okay to be yourself as long as you always act with respect for your fellow members as well as the Podiatry Arena staff. There is tremendous diversity in age, race, gender, language, location (worldwide) and most importantly, in the scope of practice of podiatry in different countries. Please respect those differences. If you come across any violations to these guidelines or have any problems navigating the site, do not hesitate to let us know through the Podiatry Arena Contact Form. We'll be happy to address your concerns. Here at the Podiatry Arena we encourage everyone to participate in and enjoy the community while at the same time adhering to these Guidelines:

Be Welcoming!

When newcomers arrive, welcome them to our growing worldwide community of Podiatrists. Many of our community's senior members are a wealth of knowledge and have much to share. Help new members learn about how to find information and resources, save time, and how to get involved in the Community.

Be Courteous!

Don't attack others. Personal attacks on others will not be tolerated. Challenge others' points of view and opinions, but do so respectfully and thoughtfully ... without insult and personal attack.

Be Cautious!

Think before you post or speak: Do you really want to put your address or telephone number on a public discussion forum? We encourage you to keep personal information personal. In the same vein, do not ask for personal information from others. Discussion forum posts that request members to submit personal information to another party will be removed. Information that should be considered personal includes but is not limited to your home phone number, name, and age. If you must give this out for any reason, please do so privately.

Be Appropriate!

There may be places where explicit, obscene or vulgar language, graphics or behavior is appropriate however the Podiatry Arena is not one of them. Discussion forum posts that contain explicit, obscene or vulgar language will be removed. Similarly, discussion forum posts that solicit or offer explicit or X-rated GIFs, JPEGs or similar content files will be deleted without notice!

No Cross-Posting

Do not post the same discussion more than once on a discussion forum or on many forums. Duplicate discussions are frustrating and counterproductive for other members, especially for those whose time and energy is limited. Duplicate discussions will be deleted.

Identity Theft

DO NOT impersonate anyone whom you are not, regardless of who the other individual may be. Identity theft is illegal and will not be tolerated.

No Advertising – Spam

Do not heedlessly place your advertisements through the Discussion Forums. This will be considered SPAM and could result in the loss of your Podiatry Arena community membership. Please make sure that you are posting for the good of the community, not just for the sake of self-promotion. Do NOT use the Podiatry Arena community for the purpose of 'spam' or excessive advertisements! This includes forum posts, private messages, or emails to other Podiatry Arena members. Our moderators reserve the right to edit or delete any posts they consider to be 'spam'. If we find that you are spamming our community, you will be warned by a Moderator or Site Admin, and it may lead to the deletion of your posts and/or the removal of your Podiatry Arena account.

No Abuse of PM

Private Messaging is provided to the members of Podiatry Arena as a service intended to enhance the Community experience. The purpose of private messaging is to allow for discreet conversations to take place between members. This privilege is not to be abused! Solicitation, spamming, or harassment of any kind is strictly forbidden. Any member receiving an inappropriate private message should forward that message to an Administrator or Moderator right away. Although private messages are normally only accessible by those who send and receive them, they are part of the database and as such, property of Podiatry Arena. An Administrator, if so inclined, could locate the Private Messages in the database and read them. They are private, but not necessarily secret. In addition, Private Messages are not intended to deprive the Community of valuable information or experiences which could benefit the entire group. Please do not use private messages if the content of the message can be helpful to others.

No Copyrighted Material

Information copyrighted or owned by any individual or entity other than the member should not be posted on the discussion forums or software libraries without the consent of the owner. If such an event occurs, the individual posting the information shall be held solely responsible. Podiatry Arena shall not be held responsible for member-posted information that may violate copyright law. You cannot legally post entire articles or news in the forum without permission from the copyright holder. Even if you attribute the article correctly it’s still copyright infringement. Copyright law does not care if you make any money off of the work or not, what matters is if you hurt the potential income of the copyright holder. In this case you would be depriving them of ad revenue and it is illegal. Under Fair Use provisions you can legally post a small abstract of an article - or perhaps the opening paragraph. So if you want to post an article you should do this and include a link, or just post the link. The exception to this rule is press releases; press releases are meant for distribution and can be copied and distributed as much as you want. If you are not sure if you can copy something then always err on the side of caution and simply post a link to the material.

Overall Community Attitude

• Keep in mind that Podiatry Arena is a professional community • Our purpose is to inform, share, help and support others • Always display a positive, friendly attitude • Be respectful of others' opinions • Allow your fellow members to voice their opinions WITHOUT CENSORSHIP • DO NOT deliberately start arguments. Debates are great, as long as they remain respectful! • Be aware that the scope of practice and training of Podiatrists is different in each country. Respect those differences. • Always try to "give" back to our community. For each time you find help or answers here at Podiatry Arena, try to help someone else out in return. You may find that what goes around comes around... • Give people a little time to respond to your requests. There's a lot going on in these forums and it may take a little time for people to notice and respond to your request. Please be patient. • DO NOT just make a negative statement and leave the person hanging out to dry. Although you may consider yourself to be an "expert" now, try to remember that we were all new and learning once upon a time. Take it easy on your fellow members! • Do NOT make threats or implied threats towards other members -- even if you think it's fun.

Inappropriate Behavior

• DO NOT Make Inappropriate or Offensive Posts - including threats, harrassment, swearing, prejudice, slander or deliberate insults/name-calling, or other negative remarks about Podiatry Arena, its moderators and administrators, or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS • There's no point in ruining a good debate or discussion by accidentally (or intentionally) offending someone with a personal comment. • Even though this is an international forum, please make sure that your posts are written in English. • We want Podiatry Arena to be open to people of all ages, genders, races, and sexualities, so any inappropriate or offensive posts will be deleted • Posts recuiting members for other forums will be deleted. • Posting under duplicate user accounts are not permited.

Podiatry Arena Discretion

Podiatry Arena and its assigned agents reserves the right to remove a post which does not relate to the topic being discussed in the forum. In addition, Podiatry Arena reserves the right to organize discussion forums in order to best serve the majority of our members. For example, narrow-interest or minimal activity topics may, at Podiatry Arena discretion, be relocated to a more appropriate discussion forum, or deleted entirely. Podiatry Arena or its assigned agents also reserves the right to prohibit or delete discussions that are thought to violate applicable law or that may be harmful to other members, the sites that Podiatry Arena or the rights of Podiatry Arena or others. That said, we cannot ensure prompt removal of offending discussion forum posts. We also reserve the right to remove your membership from you should you violate these Guidelines.

Considering the real-time nature of this bulletin board, it is impossible for Podiatry Arena to review all messages or confirm the validity of information posted. Please remember that Podiatry Arena does not actively monitor the contents of all posted messages and is not responsible for any messages posted. Podiatry Arena does not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and is not responsible for the contents of any message. The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of Podiatry Arena or any entity associated with the Podiatry Arena. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email. Podiatry Arena has the ability to remove objectionable messages and will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if it is determined that removal is necessary. This is a manual process, however, so please realize that we may not be able to remove or edit particular messages immediately, in fact, we may not edit or delete posts that break our rules at all. We have many time constraints on us and cannot guarantee that we will be able to edit or delete posts that break the rules/user agreement. If you do not agree with this then do not view or register for Podiatry Arena. Although this Discussion Forum does not and cannot review the messages posted and is not responsible for the content of any of these messages, we at Podiatry Arena reserve the right to delete any message for any or no reason whatsoever. You remain solely responsible for the content of your messages, and you agree to indemnify and hold harmless Podiatry Arena, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited (the makers of the bulletin board software), and their agents with respect to any claim based upon transmission of your message(s). We at this discussion forum also reserve the right to reveal your identity (or whatever information we know about you) in the event of a complaint or legal action arising from any message posted by you. Use of the site is at the discretion of the Administration of Podiatry Arena, and that any use may be terminated by the Administration at any time.

Podiatry Arena is a provider of an "interactive computer service". Postings on Podiatry Arena are "provided by another information content provider" and not Podiatry Arena unless posted by the owner. Podiatry Arena is not the "publisher or speaker" of any posts in the discussion forums unless posted by the owner.

The user agrees as a condition of registering at Podiatry Arena to be truthful in regard to all information given during the registration process, to use the site as per the instructions, not to disclose his password to others for use, and that the site has a license (permission) for use of anything the user submits or posts to the site.

26. Steven:

This one is especially for you:

27. Dr. Steven King

Aloha Kevin,

Are you teaching me to "Do what i say not what i do...?"

"It has been a long time coming, but I finally have my hands on a book that Eric Fuller and I wrote a chapter for on Subtalar Joint Axis Location and Tissue Stress Approach to Biomechanical Therapy of the Foot and Lower Extremity. The title of the book: Lower Extremity Biomechanics: Theory and Practice, Volume 1, edited by Stephen F. Albert and Sarah A. Curran. It is published by Bipedmed, LLC, Denver, Colorado, 2013. The book may be ordered at: http://www.bipedmed.com/"

These are my personal forum favorites,
    Be Welcoming!

When newcomers arrive, welcome them to our growing worldwide community of Podiatrists. Many of our community's senior members are a wealth of knowledge and have much to share. Help new members learn about how to find information and resources, save time, and how to get involved in the Community.

Be Courteous!

Don't attack others. Personal attacks on others will not be tolerated. Challenge others' points of view and opinions, but do so respectfully and thoughtfully ... without insult and personal attack.

We have developed new composite based mechanical orthotic systems and we have asked the learned folks here on Podiatry Arena to review our Government (and your tax dollars) funded research results.

What is so wrong with building footwear with over 6000 newtons of puncture resistance when the current PU based combat boots only have 665 and EVA foam based shoes have 60 newtons of resistance. IS THAT NOT WORTHY TO COMMUNICATE ??

"Podiatry Arena is a forum for communication between foot health professionals and the rules and guidelines for the conduct in the forum reflect that."

Mahalo,
    Steve

Prior Army Officer and Podiatrist

Co-Principal Investigator SBIR A11-109 "Advanced Composite Insoles for the Reduction of Stress Fractures." funded by the United States Department of Defense and Army Medical Research and Materials Command and Kevin Kirby...

28. Steven:

It is worthy to communicate....once is sufficient....not in every posting you make here.

So, Steve, I'll say it again:

Please make sure that you are posting for the good of the community, not just for the sake of self-promotion.

All of you who want Steve to never,ever mention anything again about his "Advanced Composite Insoles" here on Podiatry Arena please post the following short note to Steven King in this thread:

Please stop spamming Podiatry Arena, Steven King!

29. wdd

wdd Well-Known Member

Aye it's a sair fecht.

Bill

30. blinda

blinda MVP

Kevin,

I have no desire to enter into dialogue with anyone on my ignore list, which includes Mr King and wholeheartedly agree with your above post.

That said, if he were to cease promoting his products in every post, then maybe, just maybe the community could engage in useful communication and I would be delighted to remove him from `the List`.

Eternal Optimist, me.

Cheers,
    Bel