Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

World Cup 2010.

Discussion in 'South Africa' started by Vernon Lever, Apr 17, 2010.

1. W J Liggins

W J Liggins Well-Known Member

The German team were made up of young, relatively (at this level) inexperienced players. The England team were made up of players who were hugely experienced, very talented (they've proved it at league level) and enormously skilled. So why did England lose? Because the Germans wanted to win and would go the extra mile to do so. I never thought that I would say this, but good luck to them.

England soccer players are overpaid unpatriotic girlys whose only concern about the world cup is that they don't get injured and thus become cut off from their huge earnings in the league.

Until we get a team (like the rugby team) who are proud to play for their country and who consider that their greatest lifetime achievement would be to win the world cup, we will continue to lose.

The answer is to get Clive Woodward to manage them and Martin Johnson to coach. That'd scare the namby pamby bunch of cissies silly!

Rant over

Pommie Bastard Bill

2. Ian Linane

Ian Linane Well-Known Member

Bill

Is it me or are you mellowing:D

Ian

3. W J Liggins

No!

Yanks are often bemused by the British and Aussie sense of humour, predicated on self deprecation as it is, yet rarely have I heard such vicious, pointed (and accurate) jokes as the following - enjoy:

David Blaine is reportedly furious after England crashed out of the World Cup – his record of doing absolutely nothing in a box for 42 days was broken by Wayne Rooney

– The England team visited an orphanage in Cape Town today. “It’s heartbreaking to see their sad little faces with no hope,” said Jamal, aged six.

– I’ve just won two tickets to see the England team. Do you want to come with me? We’ll catch the bus to Gatwick Airport on Thursday and watch them come home.

– I hear Oxo are making a new product. The packaging is white with a red cross and they're calling it the laughing stock.

– What’s the difference between the England team and a tea bag? The tea bag stays in the cup longer.

– Fabio Capello was wheeling his shopping trolley across the supermarket car park when he noticed an old lady struggling with her bags of shopping. He stopped and asked, “Can you manage dear?” To which the old lady replied: “No way. You got yourself into this mess. Don’t ask me to sort it out!”

– What do you call an Englishman in the knockout stages of the World Cup? A referee.

– Apparently that fan had no trouble slipping into the England dressing room – Robert Green was guarding the door.

– I can’t believe we only managed a draw against a rubbish team we should easily have beaten. . . . I’m ashamed to call myself Algerian.

– What does the Englishman do when England wins the World Cup? He switches off the Play Station.

– What’s the difference between Wayne Rooney and Shrek? Shrek can save the day.

– What’s the difference between a faulty jet engine and Wayne Rooney? The jet engine eventually stops whining.

We're still the world champions at cheese rolling and shin kicking!

All the best

Bill

4. AHHH Bill is great to hear that you have not taken to too much to heart, but to make you feel better just look at the Cricket 3-0 up and only 5 and bit months before it all kicks off in Brisbane.

Always look on the bright side of life- Monty Python.

5. W J Liggins

Thanks Michael - I'd cry into my beer if it was worth it. Yes, at least the cricket is good from the Pommie point of view.

It was good to see your namesake walk unharmed from that monumental shunt yesterday; give our footballers one tenth of his grit and we'd be unbeatable!

Cheers

Bill

6. W J Liggins

Another one (this is my own).

"And here is the weather forecast.

Although the U.K. has been enjoying a spell of beautiful sunny weather, a deep depression centred over England is expected to presage the return today of a nasty shower from the direction of South Africa."

Bill Liggins

7. I hear there's a fabulous comedy on at the cinema this week....

Attached Files:

8. Vernon Lever

Vernon Lever Active Member

Hi Mark....Saw the Japs go out in a very boring game.....except 4 the penalty shoot-out. Look out for the big guns...Brazil, Argentina, Holland and the Germans....look out for the only African team left Ghana. Should win on Friday...will be there so see that one for sure. regards, Vernon.

9. Brilliant.

10. conp

conp Active Member

Things have to change with the refereeing.

Many red cards have been given without reason. Except for the fact the opponent is lying on the ground as if he has a gun shot wound. How about the Portugal guy not even touching the Spanish guy and getting a red card. I mean are the refs just guessing now. Not good enough.

So Fifa argue that because not all competitions can afford video referee, they can't do it in the World Cup! What a load of bulldust!

Tennis, Rugby etc etc don't have video refs in all competitions AND to top it offFIFA decide to have the new ADIDAS 'beach ball ' to use in the WORLD CUP. Well wake up FIFA. This ball is not used in all competitions. No wonder Germany is doing well (only European team to use it in their Bundesliga competion) and why some Sth American who have it in their comps are doing well.

Anyway....I'll better stop now.

Con

11. conp

conp Active Member

Top Three: Amazing red card decisions World Cup 2010

Better be quick as FIFA is working overtime to block these controversial decisions. #3 has already been blocked however this one is a camcorder version that they can't block.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2016
  12. Not just the refereeing, Con. Echo the comments from Bill and Simon regarding money and player remuneration. I recall a visit two years ago from a real gentleman in his 80s who when asked what he did for a living, answered a plumber. He still worked occassionally in the family firm despite decreasing mobility. He had fairly minor foot problems - dystrophic toenails and MTPJ arthritis - common with many men of his generation who used to play football with the old heavy regulation leather ball. And he enjoyed his football, he said, and played at least twice a week until his early 40s. But plumbing was his "real" job. When I asked him if that meant he played professionally he said that was correct, but his football pay amounted to five shillings per week (when it cost one shilling to see a first division game), so plumbing was the trade that put the bread on the table whilst football was for the luxuries in life! Not being familiar with the game south of the border, 'Tom Finney' didn't ring any bells until he mentioned he scored four goals once against Portugal alongside the likes of Stanley Matthews, for England!

It's a pity that football has succumbed to the addiction-to-money fad that seems to have gripped modern life. For players like Tom, playing was the real passion - payment was simply seen as reimbursment of the players time - in line with the national wage. Whilst I agree players should be remunerated better that in Tom's day - the obscene salaries paid to premiership footballers are rightly regarded as vulgar in a sport where money has become the favoured mistress over pride and passion.

13. carolethecatlover

carolethecatlover Active Member

Just pulled an all nighter, TV by the bed, Germans beat Argentina, and Spain beats Paraguey. Sad loss by Ghana, unbelievible loss by Brazil to the Dutch, from all South American favourites, to an all European final, say Holland vs Germany. I was at the Darling Harbour fan fest on Friday night for the Brazil game, got a bit scary, grown men in tears......Some nasty leg and foot damaging fouls...that guy who stomped on the down ed player's hamstrings. Just mean.

14. Griff

Griff Moderator

15. Vernon Lever

Vernon Lever Active Member

Any takers for 2 X world cup tickets for the final on the 11th? They are cat 1 tickets going for R20 000 each...........Enjoy the games my friends, for us South Africans it"s been a once in a lifetime experience! Regards, Vernon:santa2:

16. Javier Pascual

Javier Pascual Active Member

... Is anybody there?...

... We are close...

17. javier

javier Senior Member

Yes, I am.

Javier, you have to recognize that on Sunday the match will be FC Barcelona (with some reinforcements) and The Netherlands.....;)

Tiki-taka rules!!!

TIKI TAKA PASSING GAME III - when football becomes an art

18. Javier:

I was surprised to hear yesterday that one of my patients from Mexico will not be hoping Spain wins the big one.....I guess there is some sort of rivalry there also? My prediction?....Spain wins, 2-1.:drinks

19. Griff

Griff Moderator

20. javier

javier Senior Member

I hope there is no rumours about unfair playing considering this:

Sky Sports supports la seleccion. Euro 2008. :dizzy:

I hope so, but all philosophy behind Spanish strategy and tactics come from The Netherlands. FC Barcelona was shaped to Ajax from Amsterdam 20 years ago, and Spain team plays like FC Barcelona.

It can happens anything. It will worth to see it.

21. Javier Pascual

Javier,

It is obvious that FC Barcelona (Which I suppose is your team...) has a great influence in Spain Team.

Anyway, Sunday I will see Spain Vs. Netherlands :drinks

Cheers

22. Javier Pascual

Kevin,

2-1 is good... Spain wins, of course, :drinks

I do not have any rivality with Mexico... as long as Spain continues winning.

Cheers

23. Javier Pascual

24. Griff

Griff Moderator

25. Griff

Griff Moderator

26. Wendy

Wendy Active Member

Congratulations Ian!!! Hope you had a wager on your prediction:D

27. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    Just caught the last 30mins this AM while at the gym. Well done Spain ... me thinks the Dutch do themselves no credit by protesting too much.

What I do not get is how come Spain won, when New Zealand was the only team competing at the World Cup that was undefeated ... think about it...

BTW, in case you missed it ... an Australian has the yellow jersy in the Tour De France; an Australian just won the British Grand Prix and the All Blacks defeated South Africa..

28. DaVinci

DaVinci Well-Known Member

Well done Spain. Its just after 7.15AM here in Australia ... we now have to go to work!
    CP - just heard some news, everything OK at home?

29. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    Thanks. Its good.

30. javier

javier Senior Member

CAMPEONES!!!

Dear all,

Thanks for your words. It has been a dream and a nightmare at the same time!!!

Nobody understand how the Dutch forgot their soccer heritage playing so dirty. It was a shame seeing a great national team with a tradition of beautiful playing acting in such way. If they only way to stop Spain was playing dirty it did not work.

I hope also that our GDP increases 1-2% as it is predicted. We need it desperately!!

Forget about economic gurus and politicians. Paul for president!!!

31. Griff

Griff Moderator

Sadly not - I'm not much of a betting man. Just got the bragging rights with the boys I play golf with.

I agree. Rumour has it Nelson Mandela was disappointed to see that level of violence return to South Africa :D

The Dutch have embarrased themselves. Now they are attacking/blaming the referee: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/world_cup_2010/8809048.stm Thats like having a go at a policeman for booking you for speeding when he could've done you for drink driving.

32. seanpincus

seanpincus Member

Apparently the sports medicine doctors at soccer city had to treat the referee in the final for an acute supra-spinatus tendinitis from showing so many cards.

33. W J Liggins

Yes, well done to our Spanish colleagues.

Well done too, to Mark Webber in the Formula 1. His team taking his front wing and giving it to Vettell was a disgrace, but Mark gave the best possible answer by winning , and winning well.

Did you know Craig that he is an adopted Englishman? He has chosen to live here and you can tell it has rubbed off by his courteous dignity in the face of extreme provocation.

All the best

Bill