Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Seibel, M Foot Function: A Programmed Text

Discussion in 'Podiatry and Related Books' started by Dieter Fellner, Nov 8, 2010.

1. Dieter Fellner

Dieter Fellner Well-Known Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hello!

Seibel, Meichael Foot Function: A Programmed Texts Williams & Wilkins 1998 (out of print)

Does anyone have a web link for an e-book of this title, or has a copy?

Thanks!

2. As I recall, it was Rootian biomechanics with missing words you were supposed to fill in.
    Accessed tonight 8/10/10:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Foot-Function-Programmed-Michael-Seibel/dp/0683076515

Personally, I wouldn't give you 10p and a big orange for it, but each to their own.

3. Dieter Fellner

Simon: it's a recommended reference text in Podiatry school, used for introductory teaching. I'm aware Amazon has it but the text is sold at inflated prices, since it is out of print.

4. Dieter:

NYCPM isn't making you get this book, are they? My opinion of the book is about the same as Dr. Spooner's.:cool:

5. Dieter Fellner

Kevin::bash: what can you do...... we have Dr. Volpe and Dr. Wernicke.

It's on the curriculum so there is no dodging the bullet. I am trying to source the book to help out some students there. Ironically, I used to own a copy but never thought it might be relevant.

6. mr2pod

mr2pod Active Member

I think I remember this text too. A very basic one and with the approach of repetitive primary school kind...
    I do however recall that as a student it simplified things alot, which when 1st learning a subject is sometimes not a bad thing as you build on it later.
    I'm not sure if i still have it though...

7. Dieter:

I suggest you put out a query on Barry Blocks' PMNews since I'm sure there is a copy sitting on a shelf in some DPM's office that is gathering dust and, with the right "wording" on the note to PMNews, you may be able to get the book or sent to you for very little money.

8. Asher

Asher Well-Known Member

Hi Dieter,

I have a copy from uni days, just flicked through it and its like I never read it. You are welcome to have it if you cover the postage cost from Australia.

Rebecca

9. Time they updated their book list, particularly if its out of print!

10. Dieter Fellner

LOL....The Prof has a fix but students appreciate a head start ....

11. Dieter Fellner

Oh deepest of joys - I'm being re-introduced to the MTJ locking concept
    :deadhorse:

12. Don't despair, Dieter. What we discuss here on Podiatry Arena is generally 10-15 years ahead of what they teach at American Podiatry Colleges in their podiatric biomechanics classes. You could probably improve things for much of your class and future classes if you, every now and then, raise a few points to your biomechanics professors regarding what we have been discussing here over the years on Podiatry Arena.

By the way, ask our professors if the "locked position" of the midtarsal joint changes with increasing loads on the foot. If your professor says, yes, the midtarsal joint position does change with increasing loads then ask why this position of the midtarsal joint is called "locked" since the term "locked" implies no movement with increasing load.

13. Dieter Fellner

Kevin: For some time, I have been deeply, and painfully, entrenched in pre-clinical sciences. Only now my thoughts are again allowed to turn towards biomechanics. By way of shepherding my thoughts, I scanned the Intricast newsletters. In the back of my mind, I thought, there is a treatise, or some conversation, about how the MTJ relates to the tissue stress model? I don't see it. Am I mistaken?

14. Jose Antonio Teatino

Jose Antonio Teatino Well-Known Member

Dear Dieter:
    There is a Spanish-language publication of the text, published in Madrid by Ortocen editors. ISBN: 84-604-8847-0
    Teatino greetings

15. Dieter Fellner

Jose: thank you, I have located the text - through the miracle that is the world wide web...... gracias y saludos! ~Dieter

16. Eric Fuller and I wrote about MTJ rotational equilibrium and its relationship to tissue stress in the Tissue Stress chapter we did about 5 years ago but has yet to be published. I believe that the thread on MTJ Rotational Equilibrium has quite a bit on this subject. I think you will find, especially in my last two books, quite a bit about the concept of the spring function of the midtarsal joint and how stress in the plantar restraining ligaments and dorsal midfoot joints are increased with increased load-bearing forces on the foot.