Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Bodyblock - heel positioning block

Discussion in 'Practice Management' started by Leah Claydon, Feb 1, 2014.

1. Leah Claydon

Leah Claydon Active Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Just thought I'd show this product to you, just in case you haven't seen it in the supplier catalogues yet. It's designed for podiatrists as an aid to practice to access the heel area more easily. Useful on doms, in beds, on your podiatry couch. Great for casting, strapping, massage, offloading O/A knees etc

I shall declare my interest here as I was involved in the development of this product. It's now available in many countries or through the manufacturer direct.

I've been using my mine now for 10 months and probably use it with 85% of patients and it's really helped my neck and shoulders.

It's really hygienic and can be autoclaved. Glasgow Pod department just bought 120 units and now many of the training schools have them to encourage good posture and reduce RSI.

It's made of durable yet soft polyurethane in a fluid resistant skin and costs £34 + P&P.

[​IMG]

NB - I DON'T USE IT IN THIS POSITION, I USE IN ON ITS FLATTER CURVE UNDER RIGHT UNDER THE CALF MUSCLE.

http://bodyblock.co.uk/index.php

2. toughspiders

toughspiders Active Member

Is it available in Australia Leah?

3. Phil Wells

Phil Wells Active Member

Hi Leah

I have got one of the Bodyblocks and find it very useful for my MSK work and my wife uses one for her Chiropody clinic - I can thoroughly recommend it.

Phil

4. Leah Claydon

Toughspiders - yes, Algeo's have an office in Australia and they supply. I know that quite a few bodyblocks have been bought by individuals in Australia via the bodyblock website. You could always email them on info@bodyblock.co.uk for a quote to post out to Australia.

5. Leah Claydon

I've been asked what are the advantages of bodyblock over the PVC heel block cylindrical roll (such as the one that fits in a debris tray) that Canonbury sell. (By the way bodyblock is available from Canonbury too).

1. The PVC heel roll is quite small and hard and can dig into the calf and be uncomfortable
    2. The PVC heel roll goes yellow over time and too my knowledge won't autoclave and is hard
    to clean the interior of.
    3. The PVC heel roll compresses with very heavy limbs reducing elevation
    4. The PVC heel roll is convex and so the limb can roll around on it
    5. Being convex, it causes the foot to plantarflex reducing elevation

1. Bodyblock has 4 different curves to suit all limbs (can also be used in lumbar area, behind
    knees, between thighs if side-lying, behind heads, under an arm eg for taking BP)
    2. The different curves create different elevations
    3. It's soft and yet can elevate 100kg
    4. It can be autoclaved at 135C on a dry 1 hour cycle and survive
    5. It won't discolour
    6. It's easy to clean with cliniwipes, sprays (but not isopropyl alcolhol)
    7. It's portable and comes with an optional carrying strap for doms
    8. It's concave surfaces lock the limb in a stable position
    9. The concave surface makes the foot dorsiflex which is really helpful in casting
    10. Best elevation created by placing it under the calf - brilliant for accessing 360 degrees

NB: It's selling well into hospital casting departments and minor trauma units
    It was tested by Podiatry Review recently and was highly recommended and Podiatech recently completed field tests on it and have just placed a large order.

It's just a really useful bit of kit.

6. toughspiders

toughspiders Active Member

Thanks Leah

7. Leah Claydon