Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

National T.V today

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Pauline burrell-saward, Aug 17, 2015.

1. Pauline burrell-saward

Pauline burrell-saward Active Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Watching T.V this am and they were showing gas cartridges which had had Nitrous Oxide in, which are apparently the "latest" thing in illegal drugs and are being left in the streets empty.

What shocked me was the fact they can be bought for 30p each

In that case how come I have to pay ?93.73 for a box of 24 working out at ?3.90 each for my cryosurgery pen!!!!

2. Pauline burrell-saward

Sorry should have put a couple of ? not ?

3. You need to change your dealer, Pauline. And I'm surprised with that incredible legal mind you don't realise nitrous oxide isn't illegal. That's why it's on general sale.

If you fancy giving it a go - having a laugh might be a novel experience - remember and take the nitrous oxide bottle out of the cryopen before you use it. Just in case...

4. Rob Kidd

Rob Kidd Well-Known Member

For anyone with a modicum of chemistry, you should know that the oxides of nitrogen are an enigma. Whilst being a diving instructor in a previous life, nitrogen narcosis was a part of my life. However as a pod (in those days) we had entonox, and it was fun to use - the only drug (if you can call it that), apart from alcohol that I have ever abused. The issue is - entonox came combined with a decent oxygen component, their nitrous oxide does not. Hypoxia is the issue; any retired diving instructor should be able to tell you that, Rob

5. blinda

blinda MVP

6. I'll remind the kids in the park later tonight. Smoking banana skins or sipping Morning Glory tea will be next up. Despicable practice. Almost as bad as alcohol. I'd imagine the various regulators would have apoplexy if a registrant had been caught having a smoke of weed - might even ask for a public execution if one came before a FtP hearing. What would they do if someone had taken a legal high? Isn't alcohol just that?

7. Pauline burrell-saward

To be a little more correct.

The use of nitrous oxide is termed a "legal high "when used on the streets

However it is still not recommended.

My point was that on the "black market" according to the TV news it can be acquired for 30p whereas I ,who purchase it legally have to pay 3pound 90pence

( Belinda you are right about the pound sign, it doesn't work, may be that's to stop anyone putting fees etc on the site?)

Mr. Russell, Don't you ever get tired of constantly baiting and criticising every one I'm glad I don't live in your world it must be so lonely

8. Then we should both count our blessings.

9. Graeme Franklin

Graeme Franklin Active Member

CreamSupplies supply them very cheaply.
    No little filter in though but it hasn't hindered in for the last 5 years or so...

10. Pauline burrell-saward

Don't quite sure what you mean by filter,

The ones I use have a white bit on the end that you put in first and the metal bit pierces the gas allowing it to escape.

11. Pauline burrell-saward

Result.

I have ordered and had delivered the cheaper gas cylinders.

BUT, can't use them as they don't have the metal piece on the end to pierce the gas.

Any ideas???? or have I wasted my money by trying to save money!!!

12. Never mind pet - think positive; no chance now of some poor unsuspecting patient succumbing to a completely useless and painful treatment - and you got sorted for Saturday night too....Great result.

Attached Files:

13. Pauline burrell-saward

love the picture.

but have to disagree with you whilst it can be painful, its not always so, but its not useless, I have a majority of successful treatments.

and until someone comes up with a better treatment that works, at least I try

14. blinda

blinda MVP

Hi Pauline,

What is your success rate with a cryopen? Do you find it to be more efficacious on any one sub-type of HPV or equally on all? Have you tried needling verrucae?

Cheers,
    Bel

15. Pauline burrell-saward

would have liked to do needling, but the only pod I know who does it locally( 40 miles away) didn't reply when I asked to observe him.

Most of the V/P's I do have had them for months /years and have already tried over the counter treatments, most have asked for NHS help and been turned down ( NHS Pods don't treat, and yes, I completely understand the reasoning.)

so by the time they come to me they are prepared for cryo and most importantly prepared for the length of treatment.

I will use 60% S/A or cryo and often a mixture of both, not on the same day!!,depending of position ,size and how many.

success rate????

perhaps once every two years, I will accept defeat,( I have noticed there is usually an underlying medical problem in these cases).

I don't pretend my treatment should be followed by others, but perhaps because I see them for 10 minutes when it suits them, every 10 days, charge a reasonable amount, they get personal treatment from only me, and I am willing to try and get rid of the V/P's no matter how quickly or long ,might explain my high success rate.

perhaps most important I treat their V/P's seriously and am prepared to help when "others" have refused.

Please, Please ,don't come back to me with accusations, I am not trying to make myself Mrs wonderful but answering as honestly as I can. I can't be doing too much wrong because all my referrals are by personal recommendation and from other pods in the area ( plus a large dose from the local medical surgery's)

16. blinda

blinda MVP

Thank you for your reply Pauline,

Why would you think that I would "come back with accusations"? I am genuinely interested as HPV aetiology & treatment is one of my research areas. Could you please provide an approximate percentage of success rates as "defeat once every two years" doesn`t really tell me anything. I`m particularly interested because according to the latest Cochhrane review "compressed gas devices do not achieve temperatures as low as liquid nitrogen and are therefore likely to be less effective". According to their meta-analysis LN has a "cure rate mean of 49%". So, if you are achieving good outcomes, I would like to know.

Personally, I prefer needling to both Sal A and cryo as it continues to have approx 69% success rate with just one painless treatment.

Cheers,
    Bel

17. Pauline burrell-saward

sorry Belinda, wasn't accusing you of accusations, I have followed you for a long time on the forum and you have always been fair, it is "them others".

One of the pleasures of private practise is the fact you don't have to keep research records. and although I could go into the computer and check up the data you have requested, I cant be bothered at the moment, maybe when I have 5 minutes I will do so.

I don't believe my treatments are any better than anyone else, what I do have is patient compliance, because I live and work in a small area I see my Patients at the local shops and in the street, so they don't seem to forget appointments. I am also available to see them for treatment after school or before work and basically when it suits them ( within reason)

18. blinda

blinda MVP

Fairynuff. Thanks for the reply.