Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Best Postoperative Care for Chemical Matricectomy

Discussion in 'Podiatry Arena Help, Suggestions and Comments' started by drdebrule, Sep 10, 2013.

Tags:
  1. drdebrule

drdebrule Active Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Is there an optimum post-operative care protocol for chemical matricectomy to decrease healing/drainage time?

I located two abstracts from JAMPA regarding use of collagen-alginate vs. soaks and silver sulfadiazine and hydrocortisone 1% cream cream. However, I am hoping Podiatry Arena members can assist me with locating other evidence based studies or guidelines. For such a common procedure, there seems to be little written about this.:confused:

2. Lab Guy

Lab Guy Well-Known Member

I do not know. I do know that I switched to simply excising the nail matrix, partial or whole and used a couple of sutures, I had no complications of prolonged healing or drainage, minimal post-op pain and very quick healing.

If there was a severe paronychia present, I would avulse the nail and excise the hypertrophied tissue if present. I would wait until the infection was cleared and then would proceed with sharp excision of the nail matrix. Minimal pain during the course of treatment and quick healing with extremely low rate of recurrence.

IMO, for those trained in surgery, sharp excision is the way to go. Post-op infection is rare and in-office procedure time is minimal. Thats the procedure I had done for myself as well. Now I gotta fix my Hallux limitus.

Steven

One pearl: When I used Phenol and I had prolonged healing/drainage, I would Rx 2% Nitroglycerin ointment and have the patient apply it with a cotten tip applicator to the base of their toe and tarsal tunnel area BID. Had great results with it. Great local vasodilator.