Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Using Podiatry Arena as a reference for student assignments, papers and essays

Discussion in 'Teaching and Learning' started by admin, Nov 3, 2007.

1. admin

admin Administrator Staff Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    This is a tricky area. Hopefully, Podiatry Arena is a useful resource for Teaching and Learning, but things become somewhat problematic when students want to cite a thread here as a reference in a essay or assignment. Referencing an online forum is often an easy option for students when they should be putting in the work to do it properly. On the other hand, opinions expressed here by experts may not be available elsewhere and may be an important resource reference for the student.

Each University and each teacher will have a policy on this and its not up to us to dictate that (we do get emails from students from all over the world asking how to reference Podiatry Arena, which prompted this thread). Some staff will not allow students to use references that are not published, but in todays electronic environment, what is published?

For guidance, we offer the following:

The American Psychological Association (APA) Publishing Guidelines are the standard reference that is most widely used. In their table of contents they have a section on forums:
    Purdue University, suggest it be done this way:
    But do not actually say if it a good idea to do it or not.

Yale University offer this:

Personally, I would like to see it discouraged, but not banned.

Students are advised to check with their teachers.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2007
  2. Cameron

Cameron Well-Known Member

Re: Using Podiatry Arena as a resource for student assignments and essays

Netizens

I teach on line and do enourage my students every year to subscribe to Podiatry Arena . Many discuss the contributions to the themes from Arena in their student FORUM. Often the students will use this to further their enquiry but to date I have had no one use a citation in assignments.

Occassionally I do set class assignments to critique 'professional websites' (including Podiatry Arena) as the basis for meaningful information for CPD and clinical reference. Without exception PA comes out tops every time as a reliable, interesting and useful adjunt to support clinical practice.

Thats good enough for me and a real asset when teaching in a cyber classroom.

PA has set the bench mark. Well done and keep up the good work.

toeslayer

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2007
  3. admin

admin Administrator Staff Member

Thanks for the feedback.

Students will be students and if they can find an easy way of doing it, then they will.

We have had threads here (some got deleted) where students have gone as far as post assignment questions. One even demanded a prompt response! (if anyone is unhappy with the service here they should ask for a refund!). Are they being lazy or ingenious? Sometime the community here responds with help, other times it tells them to stop being lazy and go and find the library.

Its just using what really are personal comments from here in an academic essay (assignment or paper) and if its permitted, how much and how to do it.

4. Cameron

Cameron Well-Known Member

netizens

An aspect of PA I feel is very valuable to all particularly as it has a social dimension. Not only do you get topical discussion but it is couched within an ambience of 'podiatrists' and an international forum too. I am not aware of multi lingual discussions elsewhere.

We are certainly not always aware of what goes on in the background (all credit to Admin I&II) but what we read is more convivial and thought provoking and far less cynical than other websites. This does not deter controversial issues from being debated in an open and matter of fact way. Nor is there psuedo politeness or intimidation to speak to the 'Gurus', because contributors are free to express their points of view within the parameters of netiquette.

The topics are wide and hold contmeporary interest, rarely does the discussion last longer than fortnight which leaves new and fresh material to be presented. The archives are a valuable resource and demostrate (to me anyway) the wrtten culture of modern podiatry.

I was delighted to read that PA is seen as a worthwile activity which contributes to CPD.

toeslayer

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2007
  5. Admin2

Admin2 Administrator Staff Member

This is the sort of use that we don't really like Podiatry Arena being used for:
    Sloughy shallow wound on lateral malleolus

6. DaVinci

DaVinci Well-Known Member

Classic! :hammer: