Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Nail problems and swimming pool chlorine?

Discussion in 'General Issues and Discussion Forum' started by goofyfoot360, Aug 10, 2014.

1. goofyfoot360

goofyfoot360 Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hi,
    I have a patient who is worried about a nail that has not grown for three months..he believes it's associated with his swimming twice a week, which began apporx. 3 months ago too.

His GP suggested it may be fungal.

Attached pics of 1st nail, which is not growing, also the lesser toe nails. What may not show in the pictures is a thinning and dullness of the nail plate ( pt. says nails have always looked like this)

He is 65 yrs old, on blood pressure medication (ramipril) and is fairly fit but on the overweight side.
    Fingernails not dull, and look very healthy.

Anyone have any ideas?

Attached Files:

2. blinda

blinda MVP

Is the contralateral 1st nail of similar appearance?

Doesn`t look particulalry mycotic and doubt very much that chlorine would be responsible for the mild onychorrhexis, which is common in later years. Also, if you consider that the average growth rate in a`healthy`young adult is 1.62mm per month, then the growth of a traumatised and older nail plate will be significantly reduced. I have patients who report `no nail growth`, yet still require regular nail care, albeit approx every 4-5 months instead of every 2 months.

Differential dx includes Lichen planus, but that usually manifests with other symptoms....http://dermnetnz.org/scaly/lichen-planus.html

3. goofyfoot360

goofyfoot360 Member

Thanks Blinda,
    I thought lichen planus, or perhaps an autoimmune disorder. Other nail is normal.
    This patient came in off the street worried, I have him booked in for 6 weeks time, and I'll see what's happening, but he seems over anxious to sort it out.
    Cheers again

4. sallylockrey

sallylockrey Welcome New Poster

Have you checked footwear? He has callus on apex of 2nd digit which may indicate shoes too short and toe box may not be high enough. Worth a check on all footwear. Any new ones in last 12 months too?

5. goofyfoot360

goofyfoot360 Member

Hi Sally
    Seen him once only, he dropped in, hot day in sandals, did ask about footwear, he wears trainers most of the time, but it didn't get to see them.
    Will have a discussion next topi me he visits..
    Thanks for the suggestion

6. Jbwheele

Jbwheele Active Member

Hey , it looks just like mine do when I have to follow my 3 year old around the pool, it's abrasion from scraping the nail in shallow water on the rough bottom.

Cheers

Joe

7. goofyfoot360

goofyfoot360 Member

Thank you, I'll discuss the possibility with my patient