Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Journal of Clinical Research on Foot & Ankle

Discussion in 'Journals Online' started by NewsBot, Dec 28, 2012.

1. NewsBot

NewsBot The Admin that posts the news.

Articles:

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    A new journal:
    http://www.esciencecentral.org/journals/clinical-research-foot-ankle.php

Attached Files:

2. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    This caught my eye:
    http://www.esciencecentral.org/journals/aimsandscopeCRFA.php

3. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    I have been poking around the website for this Journal and ..... I don't know what to think.

"Clinical Research on Foot & Ankle" is a poor use of grammar. Shouldn't it be: "Clinical Research on the Foot & Ankle"

On the home page is this:
    Does the grammar of that actually make sense to anyone?

4. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
  5. stevewells

stevewells Active Member

sounds dodgy to me

6. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    I don't think its dodgy, it just appears as though the choice of the journal title (ie no 'the') and the nature of the text on the journals website was written by someone who does not appear to have English as their first language or it slipped past the proof readers. It does not leave a good first impression (considering the have still not fixed the 'curtsey'!)

7. "we are pleased to inform you that complete waiver will be provided on the articles submitted on or before 22nd of Jan, 2013."

Waiver of what? Something that has been brought to my attention recently is that some journals now charge authors to publish their papers- when did this become acceptable behaviour on the part of the journals?

8. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    A lot of journals have been doing that for a while.

JFAR does, expect if you a member of SCP or APodC or CFPM the fee is waived.

9. I don't think it is automatically waived for SCP members (there was a note in the last Podiatry Now magazine saying you could apply to get help with this fee) and heard it was around £500, which is pretty fierce if you are a private practitioner who is already funding your own research. Doesn't really provide motivation to the budding researcher to step up to publish within a journal if it's going to cost them to do so. OK if you work for a University who'll pay the fee for you I suppose.

Perhaps Hylton can confirm the costing and situation.

10. JFAR

JFAR Active Member

Dear colleagues,

Open access journals have article processing charges as they do not charge individual or institutional subscription fees to access journal content. Details regarding JFAR’s article processing charge can be found here:

*http://www.jfootankleres.com/about/apcfaq

Please note that members of the APodC, SCP or CFPM submitting papers to JFAR have the article processing fee waived as part of their membership.

Kind regards,

The JFAR editorial team

11. blinda

blinda MVP

Thanks for the reply.

So, just for clarity, can you confirm that any member of SCP, whether private practitioner, NHS or university staff can submit papers without charge?

That is not what I was previously advised.

Regards,
    Bel

12. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    I have come across some info on the company behind this so-called journal that was sent to me (THANKS!). It has certainly changed my mind and opened my eyes to the issues.

Check this out:
    http://www.jfdp.org/forum/forum_docs/1013jfdp1040_1_032912094346.pdf
    http://poynder.blogspot.com.au/2011/12/open-access-interviews-omics-publishing.html?m=1
    http://www.thehindu.com/sci-tech/te...m-of-a-most-scholarly-kind/article3939161.ece

Predatory open access journal publishers:
    http://scholarlyoa.com/publishers/

13. JFAR

JFAR Active Member

Bel asked:

Confirmed. SCP members submitting papers to JFAR have the article processing fee waived irrespective of their place of employment.

Kind regards,

The JFAR editorial team

14. NewsBot

Articles:
    From the New York Times:
    Scientific Articles Accepted (Personal Checks, Too)
    Full story

15. blinda

blinda MVP

For the record, I didn't pay an authors' fee (and more than a few reviewers went through with fine-tooth combs), but I did come across a couple of dodgy looking 'journals' whilst looking to publish.

16. Admin2

Admin2 Administrator Staff Member

17. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    I was just sent this link (thanks) to the Wikipedia page about the company that publishes the Journal of Clinical Research on Foot & Ankle:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OMICS_Publishing_Group

OMICS Publishing Group

OMICS Publishing Group is a predatory publisher of open access academic journals.[3][4][5][6][7][8][9] It started publishing its first journal in 2008.[1] By 2015, it claimed over 700 journals, although about half of them were defunct.[10] Its subsidiaries and brands include Allied Academies, Conference Series LLC LTD, EuroSciCon LTD, Hilaris Publishing, iMedPub LTD, Longdom Publishing SL, Meetings International, Pulsus Group, Research & Reviews, SciTechnol, Trade Science Inc, and Life Science Events.[11][12][13][14]

OMICS has come under attack by numerous academics and the United States government over the validity of the peer review by OMICS journals, the appropriateness of its fees and marketing, and the apparent advertising of the names of scientists as journal editors or conference speakers without their knowledge or permission.[4][5][6][7][8][excessive citations] The U.S. National Institutes of Health sent a cease-and-desist letter to OMICS in 2013, demanding it to discontinue with false claims of affiliation with U.S. government entities or employees.[7] In August 2016, OMICS became the first academic publisher to be sued by the U.S. Federal Trade Commission (FTC) for deceptive practices; nearly three years later, the FTC was awarded a summary judgement of over US$50 million.

OMICS has responded to criticisms by avowing a commitment to open access publishing, claiming that detractors are traditional subscription-based publishers who feel threatened by their open-access publishing model.[10] It responded to the FTC suit by maintaining that their practices were legal and claiming that corporate interests were driving the suit. It has also threatened a prominent critic, Jeffrey Beall, with a $1 billion lawsuit for defamation.[15]

1. ^ a b Cite error: The named reference Bloom was invoked but never defined (see the help page).
    2. ^ "Chanting success mantra, scientific way". The Hindu. 6 March 2016. Archived from the original on 30 October 2019.
    3. ^ Cite error: The named reference Beall2014 was invoked but never defined (see the help page).
    4. ^ a b Cite error: The named reference CHE20120304 was invoked but never defined (see the help page).
    5. ^ a b Cite error: The named reference CHE20100701 was invoked but never defined (see the help page).
    6. ^ a b Cite error: The named reference nature was invoked but never defined (see the help page).
    7. ^ a b c Cite error: The named reference science was invoked but never defined (see the help page).
    8. ^ a b Cite error: The named reference TheHindu was invoked but never defined (see the help page).
    9. ^ Yadav, Shyamlal (19 July 2018). "Inside India's fake research paper shops: pay, publish, profit". The Indian Express. Archived from the original on 26 March 2019. Retrieved 30 July 2018.
    10. ^ a b "Predatory publishers criticised for 'unethical, unprincipled' tactics". Radio National. Australian Broadcasting Corporation. 11 November 2015. Archived from the original on 27 March 2018.
    11. ^ Siler, Kyle; Vincent-Lamarre, Philippe; Sugimoto, Cassidy R.; Larivière, Vincent (26 October 2021). "Predatory publishers' latest scam: bootlegged and rebranded papers". Nature. 598 (7882): 563–565. Bibcode:2021Natur.598..563S. doi:10.1038/d41586-021-02906-8. hdl:1866/25816. PMID 34703002. S2CID 239999772.
    12. ^ Readfearn, Graham (12 January 2018). "All those OMICS linked companies in one place" (blog). Retrieved 10 October 2018.
    13. ^ Yadav, Shyamlal (22 July 2018). "Fake Science: Face behind biggest of all — '40 countries, million articles'". The Indian Express. Hyderabad. Retrieved 31 May 2019.
    14. ^ McCrostie, James (9 April 2018). "Predatory conferences – A case of academic cannibalism". University World News. Retrieved 22 January 2024.
    15. ^ New, Jake (15 May 2013). "Publisher Threatens to Sue Blogger for $1-Billion". The Chronicle of Higher Education. Archived from the original on 27 August 2018. Retrieved 15 May 2013.

18. NewsBot

Articles:
    Press Release:
    FTC Charges Academic Journal Publisher OMICS Group Deceived Researchers
    Complaint Alleges Company Made False Claims, Failed To Disclose Steep Publishing Fees

August 26, 2016