Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Teaching in USA podiatry schools

Discussion in 'Teaching and Learning' started by Simon Spooner, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    As I never see these advertised, can anyone tell me where job vacancies for lecturers at US podiatry schools might be advertised? Would an applicant need to hold a DPM qualification? I know this should be in the employment threads, but these don't seem to appear on the recent threads list and as a consequence they often get lost, Craig.

2. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    I looked into this many years ago and the answer was yes, as clinical work was required with almost every position that was advertised. Thing may have changed and there could be positions that do not require clinical supervision type work.

3. Yet one doesn't need to hold a DPM to dispense foot orthoses in the US? So, surely you or, I could work as a lecturer in the US and be part of the "faculty of biomechanics" within a School, Craig?

I'm guessing they'd still expect you to carry out the whole of the DPM course, irrespective of prior qualification and experience, as Dieter found some years ago?

4. reckles

reckles Member

While I cannot comment on the other 8 domestic DPM programmes, at NYCPM, it would be possible for an overseas qualified podiatrist to have a teaching position if the individual held qualification and expertise in a needed (sub) speciality, such as lower extremity biomechanics. This position would be independent of state registration which would not be available to those with non US qualifications. This would therefore limit that person's ability to carry forward "teaching" into the clinical arena, but would not impede classroom or research activities. Such an individual could not conduct a clinical practice in any state in the US, and this brings us to a grey area. Indeed, non registered persons do make orthoses, but what is uniquely reserved for registered podiatrists and other physicians is the ability to form a diagnosis based on physical assessment- one would argue that restrains practice considerably.

All of this stems from the centralization and consolidation of DPM and residency training in which all podiatrists are considered similar- in other words, every graduate is eligible for (and must do in order to practice), a 3 year medical and surgical residency. There is no registration pathway to a "limited" registration in which one might not do surgery for example, as exists elsewhere.

Apart from several UK trained podiatrists who have trained here, we have had orthopedic surgeons, general surgeons and many other types of physicians enroll here- all are required to engage the curriculum; those who have a pass on the USMLE part I may be granted some waiver of preclinical coursework in the first year, only.